Friday, June 29, 2007

Being happier

A while back, I decided I was going to write a book about religion. I even had the title picked out, which I've written about in this blog.

Part of my writing process, believe it or not, entails researching the subject matter I intend to write about--I know, call me crazy, but that's just how I roll.

So, I went to Barnes and Noble and Borders and bought and read 4 books:

The Compassionate Life
How to Practice
How To Expand Love
How To See Yourself As You Really Are

All these books were written by the Dalai Lama, and are based on 1000s of years of traditions and teachings. Each book is quite unique and remarkable.

I would say these books resemble something like "cutting edge psychology" because these books are so simple and profound they effect you on a very deep personal level. The viewpoint of a Buddhist is incredibly pure and beautiful, and it's not difficult figure out.

These books have helped me realize I've been an asshole pretty much my entire life--not necessarily an absolute asshole because I don't think there is such thing as an absolute, nor am I saying I'm an insufferable asshole either--there are varying degrees of assholeness, but I am saying, this is something I've struggled with for a very very long time. It's impossible to cultivate a better attitude, if you don't have the tools to do so. So, these books have helped me recognize the difference between a good and a bad attitude, which is no small feat.

I can now see how a person's worst enemy is their own anger--Basically, it's possible to cultivate a hatred for something that's so consuming it causes you to lose something very precious and dear to you because you were too busy hating--personally, I've done it, and it's one of the worst feelings in the world.

This is why these 4 books are so impressive--They lay out an incredibly simple philosophy for the purpose of helping an individual generate more love and compassion in their life. What can be more important than that?

So, my question to myself is--Why do I need to write a book about religion at all?

No comments: