Friday, June 29, 2007

Sicko

I saw Sicko.

After sitting in the theatre for an hour and a half with my attention focused on the American healthcare system and seeing comparisons with healthcare systems of the other industrial nations, I would say that clearly something needs to be done in this country.

When every industrial nation in the world besides the United States has universal health coverage, there's something tragically wrong.

On a personal level, I sold health insurance briefly. Or, I should say, I turned in 12 applications, and only had one person get approved, and the 1 peron person dropped the coverage 6 months later because the insurance company raised his rates. In other words, selling health insurance is a big fucking joke.

I also had a 20 year old guy get rejected because he was perscribed acne cream. I'm not kidding. The guy was in perfect health, but he was considered too much of a risk because he was perscribed acne cream.

And, I know from personal experiences with family members that dealing with the health care system even if you have insurance the system is a freaking nightmare.

Sicko should start a dialog in this country that doesn't go away until there are some results. It would be shame if it didn't.

No comments: