Thursday, August 14, 2008

2 golf stories worth noting:

Colorado assistant pro shoots 15 under:

How did Jay Osmon, an assistant pro at Cattails GC in Alamosa, Colo., shoot a 15-under-par 56 there on Sept. 5? He lipped out a would-be 25-foot eagle putt at 18 for 55.

Yes, Osmon played that well, if not better (he missed a four-foot putt on the third hole), and was almost apologetic for having done so, inasmuch as he was playing from the blue tees, which measure about 6,000 yards.

Still, it was a memorable round for Osmon, 30, who is preparing for the pre-qualifying stage of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament on the Greg Norman Course at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif., next week.

"Still now I don't know if it's completely sunk in," Osmon said.
Osmon, who broke his own course record of 62, made five birdies and two eagles on the front nine and shot 26. "It didn't sound right to me," he said. "On the back nine, I wasn't trying to think a whole lot. I knew I was playing well. I just wanted to stay out of my own way."

He holed a 15-foot eagle putt at No. 10 to keep his momentum going, and birdied four of the last eight.
"I fell out of my chair," head pro Bryce Bervig said when he was told of the round. "I thought, 'you guys are just teasing me.' I quit. I'm never playing again. Golf has been tamed.

"The thing with Jay is, he has a lot of shots that some don't have. He has the confidence and the imagination to hit a certain shot five different ways. That's what separates him from others."


Who holds the record for most holes in one?

Norman Manley, of California, holds the record for most hole in ones with 59. FIFTY freakin' NINE holes-in-one!! Manley shot his first hole in one in 1964 and aced four holes in 1979. That's not too bad considering the odds of hitting a hole in one are roughly one in 40,000.

He said he makes the holes-in-one by visualizing the par 3s as if they were just long puts.

Also, for the record, Tiger Woods was six years old when he hit his first hole in one.

No comments: