Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Cell Phone Minutes Conspiracy

Wouldn't you like to get a text from your cell phone provider when you are going over your minutes? Of course, you would.

Wouldn't you like to get a text from you bank in the event you overdraw your checking account? Of course, you would.

The technology is their for them to do that, but it's not being implemented.

I was on the phone with AT&T discussing my most recent phone bill. Come to find out, I went over my minutes last month by about 300 minutes. At $.45 cents a minute, my phone bill was about $140 more than usual.

It's not necessarily the end of the world by any means, but while I was talking with the customer service dude, I came up with an idea of having the amount of minutes I've used sent to my phone via a text in 100 minute increments. This way, I would be able to monitor my minutes used more effectively without playing a guessing game.

The dude said, "Yeah, I hear that idea about once a week."

So, I said, "Well, why don't they implement that system?" As soon as I asked I realized the answer to my question. AT&T is going KA-CHING right now.

The guy said you can send a text to *min and get your "used minutes" that way, but I quickly realized that would require the time and energy it takes to type *min, which for those who know me, know I'm pretty lazy, and if I believe there's a better way of doing something, I'm more inclined to just bitch about it until the world gets tired of hearing me bitch and decides to conform to my will.

No comments: