Thursday, May 24, 2007

I've started reading 3 new books

The 1st book is "How to Expand Love" by the Dalai Lama. I've only read the 1st chapter, and I will say that 'profound' doesn't even begin to describe it. I'll go even further and say--anything written by the Dalai Lama is worth the read.

The 2nd book is "The Peoples History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. I've read the some of the 1st chapter, and it makes me sad. Did you know that Indians inhabited all of the Caribbean Islands, yet if you were to go to any of the islands today whether it was Haiti, Cuba, or Bahamas, you would primarily see people of African decent without seeing anyone looking remotely like an Indian? The reason for this, as you know probably already know, a genocide occurred. This book looks at history from an unusual perspective--it looks at history from the perspective of the people who have been savagely brutalized like the Indians

The 3rd book is "Seizure" by Erica Wagner. I saw her on Charlie Rose. She's the literary editor for the London Times who also happens to be a writer. I've only read the 1st couple of pages, but from what I can tell, it's well written, and she's quite intelligent--she might actually be too smart, if that's possible.

No comments: