Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"You show up late to one of my musters again, and I'll break it off in your ass!" ~Major Mosier

This was one thing I remember from the Navy.

Major Mosier said this to me once when I strolled up to a muster one morning 15 seconds late.

I stepped right up to the front row and popped to attention.

He walked up to me to about 15 inches from my face and yelled, "You show up late to one of my musters again, and I'll break it off in your ass!"

This was in front of about 200 people.

At the time, I was a little frightened. I'll admit as much. But I guarantee you I was laughing about it within 15 minutes.

I was also chewing gum at the time, which adds another layer to this story. I don't feel like getting into it right now, but I will quote this:

"I had seen nothing sacred,
and the things that were glorious
had no glory
and the sacrafices
were like the stockyards at
Chicago
if nothing was done with the meat
except to bury it."

~Ernest Hemmingway,
A Farewell to Arms

No comments: