Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Elementary, my dear Watson.

Most folks didn't pay much attention to Tom Watson's second place finish in the British Open a few years ago.

I was watching it. Tom Watson coming to within one putt of winning the British Open at the age of 59 was one the greatest feats of golf in the history of golf.

I think I learned a few things about golf while I was watching, which translated into results on the golf course. I started mimicking his setup and really started focusing on hitting a draw.

I watched him hit a few approaches, and I spent a few hours on the driving range trying to "perfect" what I saw.

In golf, you are always trying to "perfect" what you already have. That's the brutal truth of golf: if you "suck" at golf, you are striving to improve your "suckiness."

Sure there are moments of greatness along the way, but those moments are usually followed by moments of extreme humility. ...by extreme humility, I really do mean extreme humility.

That's part of the beauty of golf. It teaches humility constantly. Everyone has perfect shots in them, but they have to actually learn, practice, and play to find them.

The other part that's beautiful about golf is the fact that you get to keep playing on some level till the day you die.

This is why I say I'd love to still be playing golf when I'm 80.

No comments: