Friday, January 02, 2009

I walked the front 9 on the Highlands at Tennison (Shot a 43)

It was your typical round. I got out there around 2:30.

The one shiney bright spot was the first hole. I played it beautifully. My drive was a nice fade over the hill. I was 120 from the green. Next shot landed pin high, eight feet from the hole and then sank the put for a birdie.

Then, as usual, the PBFU, Post Birdie Fuck Up. I double bogied the next hole, a par 3, and then, bogied the next 5 holes.

I did, however, end on a somewhat positive note. I pared the last 2 holes. I managed two approach shots onto two greens and 2 putted. Sweet.

Putting was a problem all day except for the last two holes. (Too many 3 puts)

43 puts me in the mid 80's, which is something I do frequently these days. For now, it's satisfying. After years of shooting in the 90's, I'm happy to make it through nine holes "under bogie." Shooting "under bogie" means I actually made some good shots.

Golf is a game of playing in one's comfort zone, where ever that zone happens to be. Right now, mine's moving from the lower 90's to mid 80's. It gets frustrating, if you feel like you've been in a comfort zone for too long. (like you're not improving)

I'm still learning how to be comfortable with making a birdie. A few weeks ago, I wrote about 3 birdies in one round. The next step is 4 birdies in a round, but I imagine I have a few more 3 birdie rounds, which is what it will take to get acclimated to finally breaking the final barrier into 4 birdie territory. For a while there, I had a bunch of 2 birdie rounds, and I felt like I was never going to get 3 birdies until it happened almost by accident. (wasn't thinking about the goal, but it happened anyway)

Getting too happy can be a problem. So, it's a challenge to keep a cool level head no matter how bad or good I'm playing.

It's exactly like Caddyshack when Chevy Chase was making his "Be The Ball" speech.



"There's a force in this Universe that makes things happen, and all you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking. Let things happen, and be the ball. Find your center. Hear nothing. Feel Nothing."

Tiger Woods concurs.



It's called the "Peak Performance Zone"

What I try to do when I play is go to a place where I can play my best and stay there without getting thrown out of it. (It's easier said than done)

I know I have a really low scoring game in me, but my mind has yet to break the barriers open to allow me to do it.

No comments: