Monday, May 05, 2008

Golf is a game of positive thinking.

Yesterday, I was playing golf, and I was paired up with these 3 douches, or uh, I mean, dudes, who sucked. I'm not saying I don't suck as well, but I definitely have my moments of brilliance. I'm pretty much a bogie golfer. So yes, I suck, and I'm aware of that.

Take yesterday, for example, I had 2 birdies in the 1st five holes, which never happens. I had all the makings of the best round of my life going yesterday.

The 3rd hole, a par 3, I sank a 10 footer for birdie. It was sweet.

4th hole, I curled a 12 footer to save par. This put literally had about 2 feet of break in it. One of the guys made some comment like, "Dude, you're too good, you shouldn't be playing with us."

5th hole, 70 yards, sand wedge, stuck it to within a foot. Tapped in for birdie. It felt like I was about to part the Red Sea.

It was at this point when the guys I was playing with started looking at me like I was some kind of sorcerer. Nothing hateful, but just enough to make me think a little bit--too much thinking.

As stated, I've had a long standing goal to make 3 birdies in a round.

The reality is, I think I'm selling myself short. I could be making 6 or 7 birdies a round. Yesterday was a great example. Right at the end of the 5th hole was sort of a surreal moment. My mojo was working. My confidence was sky high. For brief moment, it felt like I could do anything I wanted with a golf ball, which on rare moments, I can. Yet somehow, the momentum slips away.

On the 7th hole, I had a straight 10 footer for birdie. Again, a slight amount of doubt was in my mind--Can I really play this good? I missed the put short by about 1/10 of a revolution. It was literally hanging on the edge. If I could have been just a little more relaxed and believed in myself just a little bit more. Possibly, if I calmed down enough, I would have said to myself, "Don't leave it short," I would have those 3 birdies, and I would have been thinking about 4 and 5.

Seriously, why shouldn't I make 4, 5, or 6 birdies a round? It should be within the realm of possibility. It should be part of my golf pattern. All it takes is patience, confidence, and the desire to make it happen, which I have all 3.

Professional golfers have had many great rounds with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 birdies on courses that are way more difficult than the courses I play on. If they can do it, why can't I?

On the back 9, I probably had 3 more missed birdie puts. Some of them just barely skirted passed the edge of the cup.

In all, it was a good day. I started getting a hunger headache on about the 14th hole, but other than that, it was awesome. The weather could not have been more beautiful.

I think the one thing I realized is shooting low scores is attainable. Shooting in the low 80's-upper 70's with 4 or 5 birdies is not impossible. I was there yesterday. It was within my grasp. I just let too many opportunities slip away. I think next time I'm there I'm going push a litter harder, get more focused, and I'm going to make those birdies. I can do it.

Overall, my confidence is building. I still make a lot dumb shots, but I feel better about my swing. I give myself plenty of opportunities. It's now just a matter of believing in myself enough to pull it off.

What a glorious blog entry that will be!!

No comments: