Friday, December 15, 2006

Wine

I've made the statement, "I'm not much of a wine drinker," at least a hundred times. Then, I tried Bearboat, which I completely loved. The trouble is, it's hard to come by. I've literally scoured the Dallas countryside looking for it to no avail. Yes, I just said, "scoured the Dallas countryside looking for it to no avail." You can buy it online for $16 bucks a bottle though.

Anyway, I couldn't find it any anywhere nearby, but I have finally found some pretty amazing wines to replace Bearboat, which are delicious in my opinion.

Benton Lane--Pinot Noir, Oregon, 2005
La Playa--Cabernet Sauvignon Rose, Chile, 2006
Times Ten, Merlot, Lakewood, 2003 (this one's kind of a toss up)

I think I can finally describe the kind of wine I like--I don't like "dry" wines--they make me feel like I should be chasing each drink with a sip of ice water. The wine has to be fruity, but not sweet. Also, I don't like wines where the alcohol (or ethanol) taste or smell is very prevalent. In other words, I like a light wine with a clean finish.

If a wine is earthy, bitter, dry, gritty, woody, or sweet, the chances are my glass will still be full at the end of the night.

Also, in regards to "pairing," like this wine goes well with steak, chicken, pasta or whatever, I sort of feel like a wine needs to stand on its own. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I'd like to think I would enjoy drinking a really good wine no matter what I was eating.

I suppose there's better ways to describe my wine preferences, but then again, I'm not much of a wine drinker.

No comments: