Saturday, November 25, 2006

So, I wrote this book.

I wrote a book called "The New Bill of Rights." I actually stole the idea from James Madison, the creator of the original Bill of Rights. The idea of the original Bill of Rights was to give people the fundamentals rights they needed in order to be live and be happy and prevent an oppressive government from ruining everything. The original Bill of Rights is a pretty cool thing, and we are pretty lucky we have it.

Something I discovered while I was writing my book was that there was originally 13 Amendments in the Bill of Rights. Apparently, 3 didn't make the final edit. To me, this sounds like the Mel Brooks movie "The History of the World; Part One" during the scene where Moses was standing up on the hill; he had 3 stone tablets in has hands. Moses starts saying, "I have brought before you these FIFTEEN...one of the tablets drops and smashes on the ground....TEN.....TEN Commandments!"

So, I naively wrote this book called "The New Bill of Rights" with the idea that there were some gigantic loopholes in the Constitution that need to be closed, and there is an equally gigantic "vested interest" interested making sure those loopholes never get closed.

A couple of people said I was crazy for wasting my time writing a book like this. I've even felt like my style of writing was a little amateurish--OK, it's very amateurish. But, it's still my 1st book, so what do you expect, Hemingway?

Every time I've edited my book it's cost me $300, which kind of makes me wish I hadn't been so hasty in getting self-published. But now, I've gone through and re-edited for the 3rd, and hopefully, the final time. I've simplified and re-worded some things. I've taken out parts that I felt were juvenile and other parts that I felt were condescending. I switched out a chapter that I felt promoted intolerance. I've fixed some sentence fragments and a couple of run-ons. I've even come up with a subtitle that I think I can finally live with:

HOW TO FIX AMERICA'S BROKEN SYSTEM


For the most part, I think I'm getting to a point where the book is presentable. My plan is still to mail copies to key political, media, and business leaders. Hopefully, I can get permission from one of them to use a quote on the front cover.


I'm still set on the chapter titles:


The Education Amendment

The Drug Decriminalization Amendment

The New Progressive Sales Tax Amendment

The Balanced Budget Amendment

The Profit Sharing Amendment

The New States Amendment

The Campaign Finance Amendment

The Stable Leadership Amendment

The Anti-Obsolete Amendment

The Golden Rule Amendment


You can kind of see where I was going from reading the chapter titles. There's nothing too earth-shattering in it. It's pretty straight forward. You can also tell I picked some areas where there some major issues.


No one else has written a book like mine. So, I'm still proud of my accomplishment despite the luke-warm reviews it's received.


As far as I'm concerned, "The New Bill of Rights" is a copywritten work-of-art. I've written a book about my political views. How many people can say that?


The next book is going to about my religious views--some people already know the title.
Once these religious and political books are a done deal, I probably won't ever write another book that's "non-fiction." Although, anyone who's read "The New Bill of Rights" will probably tell you it's fiction.


The book after that is going to be a children's book titled "The 13 Year Old Astronaut." It'll be somewhat autobiographical, but in a less depressing sort of way. LOL. OK, it will be a science fiction adventure set in present-time America.


Writing is something that makes me happy.

No comments: