Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tiger Woods

This one's going to be about sports-I'm branching out .

I have more respect for golfers than I do any other kind of athlete. I feel like golf is probably the most difficult sport of them all to master, and it's probably the only game where a person's greatest competitor is himself--anyone who's played 18 holes in 100 degree heat can attest to how challenging it is.

Golf's greatest lessons are-- humility and integrity. It's also a game where grace and form are more important than brute strength. In another sense, golf courses are like "mini nature preserves" in the heart of almost every urban setting.

For all these reasons--I believe golf is the perfect sport.

And the guy who embodies everything that's wonderful about golf is Tiger Woods.

I was watching the PGA Championship this past Sunday, and Tiger had already won the tournament by the time he started playing the back 9. It was remarkable. He simply didn't make any mistakes, and he kept his composure, continued to play well, and won by a large margin despite being in a postition where he could have relaxed.

I guess the thing that I think is remarkable is the fact that 10 years ago he was miles ahead of everyone, and he remains miles ahead of everyone.

It's a cool thing to watch.

No comments: