Friday, August 19, 2005

OUTFOXED-A documentary about FOX News

I just watched OUTFOXED. It's a documentary about FOX News, which Ruport Murdoch owns. It was amazing to see how bias FOX is. It was amazing to see how things can be spun to favor one person over the other, ie. George Bush over John Kerry.

I remember flipping through the channels and landing on FOX News and getting a sense that something was "off", but I wasn't sure until this documentary pointed all the "spin" devices that are used to project their agenda, which is 110% pro-Bush and pro-Republican. It was amazing to see how every single "journalist" on one station can have the exact same viewpoint.

Without this documentary categorizing the tactics and messages, I probably wouldn't have been able to put my finger on it. They did a great job.

I guess if you are happy with the War in Iraq and the price of gas doubling, you probably won't want to go out of your way to see this documentary, but if you gotten just a little annoyed with the atmosphere in this country, you may want to check this out.

2 comments:

Heather said...

This is a great film. I knew of their bias from a law/media class I took in law school but this documentary does a great job of spelling it out. I feel like everyone should watch this movie, especially those who have ever relied on Fox news as their primary news source. My recommendations - NPR, NYTimes, Washington Post.

daftkitty said...

Definitely worth a watch. I had a friend that was involved in a big news story - I got to watch her initial interviews, and then see all the "edited" reporting on the various news channels. It's amazing how they can take bits and pieces and skew them towards their own stance on an issue.

Makes me vary wary of everthing I read.